We have concluded the programme for our 2020 PROTOTYPICAL cohort!
If you are keen to participate in our next run, email email@example.com to register your interest early or follow our social pages for updates – Facebook | Instagram.
2020 PROTOTYPICAL Teams
for creating and showcasing their first prototype!
- Be My Guide: Assistive technology that generates real-time tactile maps using lidar sensors to support the visually impaired in navigating independently through unfamiliar terrain.
- Blank.B: Mobile application that facilitates productivity management using proven strategies.
- Dewdrop: Water system that directs wasted air-conditioner condensate towards household water needs.
- Modular+: Next-generation modular structures and components that are deployable across different buildings.
- Multi+: Specially-designed kitchenware for an inclusive kitchen.
- Nyawa: Manufacturing eco-friendly biodegradable packaging material whilst simultaneously creating livelihoods for locals in Malaysia.
- Piezo Lads: Piezoelectric devices that harnesses wasted train-track energy to power signalling systems and track lightings in tunnels.
- Sortxt: Recycling bin system that sorts wasted textile to facilitate upcycling of textiles.
- superFARM: Modular & upgradable home hydroponic system that looks towards Singapore’s food security.
- Yolo: Smart cushion that detects and corrects posture for a better, healthier life.
Get a sneak OF their PROTOTYPING JOURNEY here
PROTOTYPICAL is a creative journey where dreams are transformed into opportunities. We are looking for innovators who are passionate about building food resilience, sustainable manufacturing, or designing spaces that promotes serendipity and community-building.
Innovators who are committed to developing their ideas into prototypes, are welcome you to join us in co-designing and prototyping solutions to address pressing global challenges. There are opportunities to develop moonshot ideas with international innovators, learn new maker skills and create new networks to become creators of tomorrow!
The PROTOTYPICAL experience includes:
- Fully-funded Design thinking workshop
- Mentorship and consultations with industry professionals
- Access to training and use of full suite of makers’ tools and equipment
- 100% funding support for your prototype
- Platform to share your ideas with industry and academic partners
- Opportunity to pilot your idea in our innovators’ playground in Jurong Innovation District!
PROTOTYPICAL is open to all youths aged between 15-35 years old. If you are keen to participate in our next run, email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest early!
Calling out to all experienced makers and industry experts!
Join us as a mentor, panel advisor, sponsor, guest speaker or anyway you think could contribute to the Singapore innovators’ scene. Reach us at email@example.com
Do I have to attend the design thinking workshop?
Yes, the design thinking workshop is compulsory for all PROTOTYPICAL participants.
What if I am unable to make it for part of the workshop?
You are highly encouraged to set time aside for the workshop once you have committed to this PROTOTYPICAL journey. At least one team member has to be present at all times for the team to qualify for the subsequent stages and receive funding support from Prototypical to build your prototypes.
Can I register for the competition individually?
Yes, you may. In the design thinking workshop, participants would be assigned to work in larger groups to co-create and develop ideas together. Participants will then have the option to merge teams and find like-minded individuals to embark on the prototyping journey with.
Can I participate in the Singapore Prototyping Festival without participating in Stage 1?
Yes, do keep a lookout for further details early next year. Stage 1 dream is specially curated to allow any dreamers with a revolutionary idea to refine, pivot and conceptualise initial prototypes to implement their solutions. However, do note that funding support from PROTOTYPICAL to build prototypes is only awarded to selected participants who join in from stage 1.
What happens if I am not selected for Stage 2, but am still keen on picking up prototyping skills?
To promote hands on prototyping and experimenting, we would love to encourage more youths to become a maker. Hence, some workshops and trainings offered in Stage 2 will be made available to the public. However, priority access will be given to the shortlisted participants for these sessions. Also, you will not receive funding support to build your prototypes.
Do I have to create a physical prototype?
Yes, participants who are selected for Stage 2 will have to create a physical prototype to qualify for Stage 3. If your idea is a software/application, you would have to create an interactive prototype for Stage 3.
What do I get from participating in PROTOTYPICAL?
At the end of Stage 1, selected participants will be provided funding support to build their initial prototypes. Selected prototypes at the end of Stage 2 will be showcased in Stage 3 at the Singapore Prototyping Festival. The most successful prototypes will be awarded cash prizes and access to further development opportunities. Refer to the participant booklet for more detailed information on opportunities and incentives.
Who do I contact for more information?
For more enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org You may expect a reply within 1 week.